Re: [Phys-l] Weightless (running around in circles)

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Mallinckrodt
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 10:40 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
... As I understand it from reading the first part
of <http://www.av8n.com/physics/weight.htm>, JD would define both
"weight" as mg where g is the local acceleration of a freely falling
object. That corresponds exactly with my preferred definition of
"gravitational force." On the other hand, I see no need to waste the
perfectly good word "weight" by making it mean the same thing. I
would prefer to let weight be the MAGNITUDE of the gravitational
force IN THE REST FRAME OF THE OBJECT. It seems to me that this
agrees far better with the use of the word in common parlance. With
these definitions, "gravitational force" is manifestly a frame-
dependent vector, while "weight" is, even more manifestly, a frame-
independent scalar.

So if I strapped an ideal accelerometer to an object, the weight of the
object would be the product of its mass and the magnitude its
accelerometer reading?