Re: [Phys-l] Weightless

No! Once you have adopted a definition, you've got to stick with it. Otherwise you are making (bad) puns. See below:

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, R. McDermott wrote:

It seems to me that we're all throwing out ideas based upon different
definitions of "weight".
You are free to pick one, and only one.
From one point of view, weight is the force
applied to an object due to a gravitational field.
That is not a definition because it gives me no clue as to how to measure "weight".

Thus weight is mg where
g can vary. Wherever there is a gravitational field, there is weight.

This hints at a possible definition, but it needs a measurement of m.

Based on that viewpoint, a bathroom scale doesn't necessarily measure one's
weight at all. If you jump on the scale you get readings higher than your
weight.
You are saying that different definitions are incompatible. Big deal! So pick one, and stay with it.

If you are in freefall with the scale you get a reading of zero.
If the scale defines weight, you are wightless.

Your weight didn't change,
But it did, according to the scale definition. According to some other definitions, it may not have. But you are entitled to only one definition.
Confusion follows multiple definitions. 'Nuff said.
but the scale reading did, so the scale isn't
necessarily measuring your weight. If, otoh, you accept your weight as
being the scale reading, then your weight can vary from moment to moment
(which might make diets obsolete). Oh, and this, too, appears to me to be
an unambiguous definition. For beginning/introductory courses, I prefer
this definition for weight.