Re: [Phys-l] Weightless

For the 'apparent weighters' it is the apparent weight that is zero because there is no force opposing the gravitational force and it is that opposing force (usually the ground or chair) that provides us with the sensation of weight. (We might also say that they FEEL weightless.) I think we would reserve 'weightless' for an object in deep outer space, away from any massive object. [Not sure about the zero net gravitational force point between the earth and the moon, because one of the complications of this approach is that we have to separate Earth weight from Moon weight. ;-) ]

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Mallinckrodt" <ajm@csupomona.edu>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 12:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Weightless

But if an astronaut isn't "weightless," then what is? Isn't the word
of absolutely no use if we can't apply it to astronauts? Weight
implies "heaviness" and heaviness implies (to me) a tendency to stay
"pinned by gravity" to some surface. If a person (or thing?) finds
that she (or it?) has absolutely no such tendency, then it seems to
me that she has every right to say that she is "weightless" and that
we ought to agree with and abide by her assessment.

There's certainly no problem justifying any of this from a Newtonian
viewpoint. It's simply a matter of deciding what you want to mean by
"weight." I don't see any good reason to require that it mean the
same thing as "gravitational force." Indeed, it seems to me a
genuine disadvantage.

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I agree. This is why I discuss bathroom scales and apparent weight. If
someone says there is gravity acting on the astronauts AND they are
also
weightless, it ads to more confusion...

[Rick Tarara wrote:]
In the 'g' thread, we've (yet again) opened up the definition of
weight
debate. While I see certain pedagogical advantages to either of
the two
main approaches, I would ask if the proponents of saying that one IS
weightless while in the space station can explain that from a
Newtonian
viewpoint? Seems to me that there is only one force acting on the
person.
If we call that the gravitational force due to the earth, then what
(again
in the Newtonian viewpoint) is weight? Isn't this gravitational
force a
component of your weight? But it is the only component here in the
Newtonian view and is not zero!

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>