Re: [Phys-l] online student evaluations vs in-class student evaluations

If I remember correctly there was a thread in which a poster suggested student evaluators did only harm -- the arguments were, IMAO, quite cogent -- perhaps it was an IP published screed.
bc

rgrandy@pop.mail.rice.edu wrote:

I don't know about bias, but last spring when our administration switched from paper evaluations to onliine the response rate dropped from around 90% to about 40%!

Richard Grandy
Rice University
Houston TX USA

It's time for student evaluations, and I have two choices. There's (a) the
traditional method of giving the students a paper form to fill in in-class,
and (b) an online version of the same form, presumably to be filled in at
their convenience.

One might expect that the online version would produce a reduced response
rate. Only students with strong opinions (either positive or negative)
would actually take the time to respond to a survey if they're not put on
the spot in a classroom. One could further imagine that this might bias the
results, depending on which of these extremes is a more powerful motivator.

Does anyone know of a comparison between these two methodologies, and does
anyone have any anecdotal evidence that would suggest which way (if any) a
bias is induced?

Richard Zajac

!DSPAM:455c889019529235421780!