[Phys-l] Speaking of tolerance. Was: Re: threads on PHYS-L

Gate Keeper came home last night (and I mean night) after parent conferences and a meeting w/ the local rep. on the negotiations team. She gave me the summary of the management's (the Alisal Elem. School District) proposals. They were the usual niggardly (has noting to do w/ "nigger") ones expected from a district strapped for money. GK replied, as is the usual case in negotiations, that they expect to give more, but wait until you get to #d of New Article: Teacher Discipline!

Oh my s***! "The following may be cause for suspension without pay: ... active membership in the communist [n.b. lower case] party, ...."

I suppose they've forgotten one of the district's heroes (Even a school named after César and his pic. in every office.) was accused of being a Communist; prominent members of his movement certainly were.

bc, who regrets being only a card carrying member of the ACLU.

p.s. Bob Eisberg back 40 years ago told me the loyalty oath decimated one well known Physics * dept. in the 50's. Even I (ashamed I didn't refuse, but I was only 17) had to sign a loyalty oath in order to be a volunteer film projectionist at Santa Barbara High (1955).

* Maybe not exactly, but one dismissed refusnik eventually became President of the U. after the Calif. Supreme Court invalidated the oath.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/10-8-1999.html

"September 27
The House Un-American Activities Committee holds hearings on alleged Communist infiltration of the Radiation Laboratory at Berkeley (later to become the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory). One witness, Irving David Fox, a student Teaching Assistant in the Berkeley Physics Department, refuses to answer some of the Committee's questions. The questions include, 'Have you ever been a member of the Communist Party of the United States?' 'Were you a member of the Communist cell at the Radiation Laboratory?' 'Was your father a member of the Communist Party'"

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/~ucalhist/archives_exhibits/loyaltyoath/timeline1949_5.html <http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/%7Eucalhist/archives_exhibits/loyaltyoath/timeline1949_5.html>

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I wonder if Physics teachers have thinner skins than the general population. I have found they are more tolerant tho.

bc, who reads them all, tho not necessarily carefully.

Patricia Sievert wrote:

Thank you, Rick. I'm sure many have quietly removed themselves from the list for just the reasons you so tactfully point out with a healthy dose of humor. Pati

Rick Tarara wrote:

;-) Here is my (jaded) view of how many threads seem to go on this list: ;-)

Original Question: Can someone explain why the sky is blue?

Answer 1: What a silly question--I've know why since 2 months before birth.

cut

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
Here are 45000 references in which I have mentioned the words Blue or Sky...
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ........

Answer 8: (Something that actually answers the question..but will get lost in the rest of this noise.)

Ad nauseum....

Smile all,

Rick