Re: [Phys-l] threads on PHYS-L

Actually it rather resembles what often happens with questions at colloquia,
or cocktail parties. I think that this is a function of the lists. They are
not scholarly exchanges in journals moderated by reviewers. There are some
list where decorum is maintained, but they have a dedicated purpose and a
specific clientele that wants to exchange information for a specific
purpose.

And, yes many teachers have thinner skins than members of this list. Many
teachers have been indoctrinated in politeness, and find penetrating
questions to be offensive. This is most unfortunate because common teaching
practices need to be questioned. OTOH anyone who has gone through the
graduate student process is often used to being severely questioned. This
list displays a lot of creativity, but not as much constraint.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I wonder if Physics teachers have thinner skins than the general
population. I have found they are more tolerant tho.

bc, who reads them all, tho not necessarily carefully.

Patricia Sievert wrote:

Thank you, Rick. I'm sure many have quietly removed themselves from the
list for just the reasons you so tactfully point out with a healthy dose
of humor.
Pati

Rick Tarara wrote:

;-) Here is my (jaded) view of how many threads seem to go on this
list:
;-)

Original Question: Can someone explain why the sky is blue?

Answer 1: What a silly question--I've know why since 2 months before
birth.

cut

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
Here are 45000 references in which I have mentioned the words Blue or
Sky...
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ........

Answer 8: (Something that actually answers the question..but will get
lost
in the rest of this noise.)

Ad nauseum....

Smile all,