Re: [Phys-l] Cosmic background radiation

Hi folks!

I teach 9th grade physical science. We are getting ready to discuss the Big Bang Theory and I was wondering if someone could explain to me just how the cosmic background radiation is supporting evidence? I know that the fact it is constant throughout the universe is the key, but I'm foggy on just how this provides supporting evidence for the Big Bang.

Thanks! (I have great lab activities showing red shift, etc.)

Leanna B. Aker

I just taught that section in my gen-ed course "From particles to Galaxies"

As early as 1912 V. M. Slipher, working at the Lowell Observatory had noted that many of the spiral nebulae were redshifted. However, until Hubble established that nebulae were at large distances from Earth, there was no obvious interpretation.

In studying the galaxies, Hubble made his second remarkable discovery--namely, that these galaxies are apparently receding from the Milky Way and that the further away they are, the faster they are receding (1927).

Nonetheless, there arose two rival theories of the universe- what would now be called the "big-bang theory" and the "steady state theory" of Fred Hoyle, Britain's astronomer Royal and others. (Although generally not accepted today, Hoyle at the end of his life - he died recently- still claimed that the steady state theory of the universe as infinite and eternal was correct)

In searching for evidence of the big-bang theory George Gamow suggested a crude analogy- How would you know that a field now fallow once long ago was used to graze cows? Gamow's answer - look for "pre historic" cow pats.

He suggested that when the universe ceased to be a plasma, radiation disconnected from the universe and that primitive radiation "the cow pats" must still be around. (In his usual impish way, he approached Hans Bethe to be a co-author so that his paper on the subject with Herman Alpher could be called the Alpher Bethe Gamow paper!)

The high temperature associated with the early universe would give rise to a thermal radiation field. As the universe expanded, the temperature would have dropped. By the present epoch the radiation temperature would have dropped to very low values, about 5° above absolute zero (0 K, or -273° C) according to the estimates of Alpher and Herman.

In experiments conducted in connection with the first Telstar communication satellite, two scientists, Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, measured excess radio noise that seemed to come from the sky in a completely isotropic fashion. Penzias and Wilson & Robert H. Dicke andP.J.E. Peebles, published simultaneously in 1965 papers detailing the prediction and discovery of a universal thermal radiation field with a temperature of about 3 K.

Precise measurements made by the Cosmic Background Explorer (COBE) satellite launched in late 1989 determined the spectrum to be exactly characteristic of a blackbody at 2.735 K.

Observation of this Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation convinced just about everyone that the "Big Bang Theory" was correct.

--

Best wishes

Calvin

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Calvin S. Kalman, P. Phys. Phone: (514) 848-2424 xt 3284
_/ Professor,Department of Physics Fax: (514) 848-2828
_/ Fellow, Science College
_/ Member, Centre for the Study of Learning and Performance
_/ Concordia University
_/ Montreal, QC H4B 1R6 Calvin.Kalman@Concordia.ca
_/
_/ Also Adjunct Professor Department of Educational
_/ and Counseling Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
_/
_/
_/ homepage- http://physics.concordia.ca/faculty/kalman.html
_/