Re: [Phys-l] gravitational force

On 10/31/2006 12:13 PM, Mike VanAntwerp wrote:

Sure- thanks for the sarcasm.

1) No sarcasm was intended.

2) I don't even understand what /seemed/ sarcastic. If you think
"please ask a more specific question" is sarcastic, you should see
what happens when I *intend* to be sarcastic.

I'm looking for ways to get students to
work with Kepler's Laws and F= G (m1m2/d^2) in a lab setting. This is
for a high school class.

It can't be done. You can work with F = m g (i.e. small g)
but not "F= G (m1m2/d^2) in a lab setting" (i.e. big G).

The problem is that G is too small. A Cavendish balance is more
suited to grad school (or perhaps upper-division undergrad school)
than to high school.