Re: [Phys-l] Independent Variables

What can be more pleasant to a retired teacher than to plan lectures? Here are my plans:

1) For a science course in elementary school:
Things like heights or weights are called of variables. Why? Because they vary. Driving times, for example, from school school to homes are also variable because different people live in different locations. And driving from the same location can vary from day to day.

Instruments, such as scales, yardsticks and stopwatches are used to measure variable. Let us collect variables (heihgt and weight) using our scale and yardstick. John and Mary measure each student and I am going to record the results in this table on the blackboard. Students measure h and w and I am recording the results in two columns.

Then we would manually plot w versus h and h versus w. The act of plotting should demonstrate that the shape of the relation (called function in math) depends on the chosen scale. That is enough for the very elementary introduction.

2) For a physics course in high school:
Go over the same introduction as above. Make sure they know that variables in physics have names. In our labs variable are placeholders for numerical information. Also make sure that functions (relations between two variables) can be represented either by a two-columns table or by a graph. Which variable (weight or height) should be placed into the first column? It does not matter. And which axis (horizontal or vertical) should be used to represent the first variable? It does not matter. But once the choice is made the variable represented along the horizontal axis is called independent. Why is it called independent? Because mathematicians introduced this adjective. The other variable, from any pair, is called dependent. Mathematicians will teach you much more about functions.

3) That is about all. But how to make sure that this is remembered later? By practicing. Subsequent lab activities can be used to review the vocabulary, till things become obvious. This is not different from other things, like absolute and relative errors, significant digits, bars of errors, etc. Practice makes perfect. But we should not spend too much time on trivial things like this. I suggest you assign manual plotting in the first two or three labs (before jumping to Excel).

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.