Re: [Phys-l] Is this true?

At 5:01 -0700 on 10/28/06, Bernard Cleyet wrote concerning [Phys-l] Is this true? :

history provides a nice illustration of a point
made by Aristotle:

Lack of experience diminishes our power of taking a comprehensive
view of the admitted facts. Hence those who dwell in intimate
association with nature and its phenomena are more able to lay down
principles such as to admit of a wide and coherent development;
while those whom devotion to abstract discussions has rendered
unobservant of facts are too ready to dogmatize on the basis of a
few observations.

My very limited familiarity with Aristotle and his 'science' make me very skeptical of or at least amused by this passage.

Aristotle 'knew' that men had one fewer ribs than did women - because of the (even then) ancient creation stories.

He stated the wrong number of teeth for humans - probably because he had his slaves perform the counting and the available corpses didn't have good dental histories.