Re: [Phys-l] feeling gravity, or not

Ooooh!! I LIKE that! But then I *always* like the cognitive conflict produced by carefully considering what's going on in a "hovering rocket."

On Oct 28, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:

Suppose I sit on a chair bolted to hoverfloor supported 100 feet above the surface of the earth by means of rocket engines. Two switches are at hand, one labeled earth's gravitational field and the other labeled rockets. Both are in the on position. I simultaneously turn both off. Hmmm. That feels different. Which one could I turn back on by itself to get the sensation I was experiencing before I turned them both off?

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and