Re: [Phys-l] pseudo-force

Pseudo forces are usually mentioned during circular motion. Everyone knows
that when you turn your car sharply to the right, you move to the left. So
you naturally think there is an outward "centrifugal" force on you. But
it's really just your inertia -- your tendency to want to move in a
straight line. There isn't an outward force (on you) because every force
must have a source! So we call these outward forces "pseudo forces." There
IS an outward force, but it does not act on the object in question .It's
just the reaction force of the net inward (centripetal) force for an
object moving in a circle. Or spin a stopper. The inward (net) force is
the string on the stopper. The reaction force is the stopper on the
string. It is outward, but does NOT act on the stopper (as many people
believe).

This is a very difficult concept for my students, and for most people.

Hope this helps!

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
Some questions:

What do people mean by the term "pseudo-force"?

Is a pseudo-force a force?

Why is it called a pseudo-force?

Is this concept crucial/useful/marginal/unhelpful?