[Phys-l] Shoulders of Giants

Thanks to Bernard Cleyet for providing the link below to Newton's famous
quotation: "If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the
shoulders of Giants."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_on_the_shoulders_of_giants#Referen
ces_during_the_sixteenth_to_nineteenth_centuries
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_on_the_shoulders_of_giants>
I read through some of the other citations at the same link and haven't
stopped smiling and chuckling yet at the following one:

MIT </wiki/Massachusetts_Institute_of_Technology> professor Hal Abelson
</wiki/Hal_Abelson> is credited with the quip "If I have not seen as
far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders."
Abelson himself attributes it to his Princeton University
</wiki/Princeton_University> roommate, Jeff Goll[citation needed
</wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources> ].

Don Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corp.
Annapolis, MD