Re: [Phys-l] History of MASS

on 10/19/2006 04:57 PM David Abineri said the following:
I wonder if someone can comment on the historical development of the
concept of mass. When was such a concept first used and what was the
original motivation for a concept that tell us what we understand mass
to be today. Galileo and Newton surely understood the need for such a
concept but when and why did it first arise?

I emphasize that I am *not* a historian. I have not made a
systematic study of this topic, and my memory for such details
is terrible, but ....

According to my memory of reading Galileo, I don't recall much
discussion of mass as distinct from weight.

In contrast, Newton did draw the distinction. He introduces it
here
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Philosophiae_Naturalis_Principia_Mathematica#Definition_I.
in terms that suggest he expected his readership to be not already
familiar with the distinction.

So my guess is that the mass/weight distinction was something
that Newton brought to the party.

Another line of attack: Look in the OED under "m" for mass,
and see what date it gives for the onset of the mass/weight
distinction.

I assume the question indended to ask about mass as distinct from
weight. The concept of mass /not/ distinct from weight surely
goes back tens of thousands of years.