[Phys-l] detecting/reading RFID chips

In an article about RFID chips in passports (cited below), the following was written:

"The original article's concerns over the improvements in antenna technology that might enable the ePassport to be read from a distance greater than three to four inches are allayed by knowledge of the laws of physics. Even supposing a criminal mastermind was able to thwart the Basic Access Controls, the mutual authentication, the robust encryption and the shielding technology in the ePassport (which they won't), the power needed to read the ePassport's chip at distance would have to be so great that it would incinerate not only the chip within, but possibly even the ePassport itself."

I think that most criminal masterminds with a physics degree would suppose that only a lack of advance in *passive* listening technology would prevent RFIDs from being detected or read from a distance (notwithstanding the other barriers, which are not at issue here).

But I may be wrong - are their *radio-based* active methods where a signal has to be sent to such an RFID to get any signature? Perhaps I don't understand the RFID technology in question here. The idea in principle is that during the time when the RFID device is sending information, it can only be detected from within a few inches, and that no technology today can detect the signal beyond that.

Furthermore, even if an active device did have to be high power because of distance, the power density at the RFID chip itself would have to be no more than that of the nearby reader - again leaving the mastermind with the main problem of how to passively detect the return signal reliably at a great distance.

I'm not talking about the details of RFID protocol here, just the invocation of "the laws of physics" to refute the basic argument.

The quote is from this article:

<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/opinion/15637460.htm>

which is intended as a rebuttal to this article:

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/15/AR2006091500923.html>

Stefan Jeglinski