Re: [Phys-l] Video Encyclopedia of Physics Demos

-- -- -- -- --
My goal is to see these different demos, construct the equipment, and
then
perform the demos in the classroom.
-- -- -- -- --

I hesitate to spend $3000 on video demos. As I recall (from seeing
portions of the $3k video set quite a while ago) the Video Encyclopedia
uses some high speed photography and some other items that would be
tough for us to do 3-5 times a day. I think the Hewitt video demos
would be easier to reconstruct.

-- -- -- -- --
I don't know if our school would purchase these, but it would be great
know if one set is better.
-- -- -- -- --
I would default to others with more experience with these two options.

As you investigate options for demonstrations, I would read the two
articles below.

Classroom demonstrations: Learning tools or entertainment?
Pg 835 Am. J. Phys. 72 (6), June 2004 http://aapt.org/ajp

Using Interactive Lecture Demonstrations to Create an Active Learning
Environment
The Physics Teacher Vol 35, pg 340 has an article on interactive lecture
demonstrations.

It appears that a simple viewing & discussion of a demo doesn't
necessarily increase student understanding of the concepts involved in
the demonstration. The second article recommends some steps to improve
the effect of demonstrations. I believe (no data) that following the
steps recommended in the second article has helped my students.

If you are going to try a video recorded demonstration- I believe the
authors of Interactive Lecture Demonstrations are working toward
producing an internet-based video version. I am not aware of what costs
would be associated.

Paul Lulai