[Phys-l] Can Neuroscience Benefit Classroom Instruction?

ABSTRACT: I contrast the opinions of Judith Willis and John Bruer on the potential benefit of neuroscience to education. Willis's positive stance is moderated by her admission that neuroscience as applied to education has not been firmly validated. Bruer's negative stance is moderated by his belief that "eventually we will be able to bridge neuroscience at its various levels of analysis with education, but . . . all of these bridges will have a least one pier on the island of psychology."

Judith Willis (2006), in an article rather positive regarding the potential benefit of neuroscience to education titled "Add the Science of Learning to the Art of Teaching to Enrich Classroom Instruction," appearing in James Rhem's "National Teaching and Learning Forum," wrote:
"It is only in the past 20 years that cognitive neuroscientists have begun to study how our brain structures support mental functions through neural circuits that enable us to think and learn. Information attending, comprehending, and retrieval research is now at the level of neural circuits, synapses, and neurotransmitters and the time for advances in classroom teaching strategies is at hand. The increasing scientific knowledge about the physiology of how the human brain learns has the POTENTIAL [my CAPS] to significantly impact classroom instruction. . . . . . It would be premature and against my training as a physician to claim that any of these [neuro-imaging] strategies are as yet firmly validated by the complete meshing of simultaneous cognitive studies, neuroimaging, and educational classroom research. It is for now a combination of the art of teaching and the science of how the brain responds metabolically to stimuli that will guide educators in finding the best neurological ways to present information in such ways as to obtain and maintain student attention and potentiate learning."

On the other hand, John Bruer (2006), in an article rather skeptical regarding the potential benefit of neuroscience to education titled "On the Implications of Neuroscience Research for Science Teaching and Learning: Are There Any? A Skeptical Theme and Variations: The Primacy of Psychology in the Science of Learning," wrote [bracketed by lines "BBBBBBBB. . . ."; my CAPS; my insert at ". . . .[insert]. . . "]

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
I am notorious for my skepticism about what neuroscience can CURRENTLY offer to education. My skepticism derives from several concerns, but a common theme runs through all of them: ATTEMPTS TO LINK NEUROSCIENCE WITH EDUCATION PAY INSUFFICIENT ATTENTION TO PSYCHOLOGY. . . .[and, in my opinion, psychology pays insufficient attention to classroom research as indicated in Hake (2005)]. . . In what follows, I will present four variations on this theme. First, for those who are committed to developing a science-based pedagogy and solving existing instructional problems, cognitive psychology offers a mother-lode of still largely untapped knowledge. Second, attempts to link developmental neurobiology to brain development and education ignore, or are inconsistent with, what cognitive psychology tells us about teaching and learning. Third, cognitive neuroscience is the brain-based discipline that is most likely to generate educationally relevant insights, but cognitive neuroscience presupposes cognitive psychology and, to date, rarely constrains existing cognitive models. And fourth, the methods of cellular and molecular neuroscience are powerful, but it is not always clear that the concepts of learning and memory used by neuroscientists are the same as those used by psychologists, let alone by classroom teachers.
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

And Bruer concludes:

"So I remain skeptical about the implications of neuroscience for education currently and into the near future. Maybe I should say the direct implications of neuroscience for education. I do believe that eventually we will be able to bridge neuroscience at its various levels of analysis with education, but I am convinced that all of these bridges will have a least one pier on the island of psychology." [See Bruer's (1997) "Education and the Brain: A Bridge Too Far."]

So Bruer's conclusion appears to be consistent with Willis emphasis that "It would be premature . . . to claim that any of these [neuro-imaging] strategies are as yet firmly validated by the complete meshing of simultaneous cognitive studies, neuroimaging, and educational classroom research.

BTW, for references on "brain-based learning" generated in 2000 on the POD and PhysLrnR list see my posts Hake (2000a,b,c,d).

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>