Re: [Phys-l] Good Questions

Has anyone looked at Eric Mazur's question set...I think they are very good.

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556

On Oct 10, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:

1) (A premed student once asked me this one.) When a person suffers an
electric shock injury, is it the voltage or is it the current that does
the damage?

2) (A psychology professor asked was doing Alzheimer research on rats
using the Morris water maze
http://www.watermaze.org/
asked me about this one.) How would you go about canceling out the
earth's magnetic field in the region of the surface of the water in a
1-meter deep pool (he used a deeper pool than the one depicted at
watermaze.org) of water having a circular surface of diameter 1.8
meters?

3) A neighbor asked me whether she should cool or heat a pot of soup on
which a slightly oversized lid had become stuck after she heated up the
soup in it. While I was on the phone with her, her husband got it off
by means of a vice. (I guess he put the pot in a vice and knocked the
lid off with a hammer.)