Re: [Phys-l] Agressive grade inflation invades concerts.

Well, at least they weren't paid clackes. (not sure how to spell it).
Maybe they just feel that you have to be ecstatic after paying the current
high prices.

I don't recall them doing that at the Houston Grand Opera. Often they will
stand and clap, but that is merely a prelude to leaving.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

STANDING AGGRESSION BY OVATORS

DENNIS ABRAMS, HOUSTON CHRONICLE - I attended a concert of the Houston
Symphony. The soloist, Louis Lortie, performed two piano concertos:
Tchaikovsky #3, and Prokofiev #1. He did, I felt, an admirable job.

The crowd, of course, gave him a standing ovation. I remained in my
seat, applauding at a level somewhere between polite and enthusiastic.

A woman in front of me, one of the standers, turned around, saw me
still sitting, and asked, "Why aren't you standing?"

I was startled by her question. Why should I have to explain my
response to the performance? I shrugged.

"Didn't you find the performance ecstatic?" she asked.

Not having achieved a verifiable level of ecstasy, I replied, "No, it
was OK."

"Just OK?" she asked.

"OK," I responded. "It was good."

"I guess it takes a lot to get you to stand up."

"Yep," I replied, hoping that would end the discussion.

She turned back to the stage, then back toward me, trying to
understand why I obstinately refused to go along with the crowd.

"You must be a Sagittarius," she said.

I would have liked to reassure her that the fault, indeed, lay in my
stars. But I answered truthfully: "I'm just picky."

She tried one more approach, "You must be very discerning."

I stifled the impulse to say "I guess you're not."

And blessedly, the ovation reached its end, and she left to enjoy the
intermission.

I was stunned: No longer content to give standing ovations to
performances that don't warrant them, the ovaters have begun to
question why others aren't standing too.