Re: [Phys-l] projectile motion lab

I just did this lab (high school) last week, but without photogates.
Students use stopwatches -- much more difficult. They have to calculate
and get the marble in a can. This activity is actually in Hewitt's lab
manual. I believe he uses photogates. Many of my students take good timing
measurements, and the marble goes in. If not, they have to analyze why it
fell short or went long.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
My high school students will be performing a projectile motion lab where
they
roll a marble down an inclined plane and off of the lab table. Prior to
the
marble rolling off of the table in will pass between two photogates which
will
measure the time elapsed between them. The students will measure the
distance between the photogates, the time elapsed, and the height of the
lab table.
From this they will predict where the marble will land. Pretty standard
stuff.

They will measure the time between photogates multiple (>10) times and
compute the mean and standard deviation. My question is how to grade the
lab. If
the marble hits the line representing the predicted distance they will
get some
extra points. If the line is not hit then I was thinking of grades based
on
fractions of the standard deviation but I don't have a good sense of
reasonable values.

Any advice?

Thanks

Justin