Re: [Phys-l] Ballistics divertissement

On Oct 6, 2006, at 1:49 PM, Roger Haar wrote:
Hi,

I believe my friends who are into guns have said things to imply that a
blank would feel different then a bullet. The problem is complicated by
things like the burn rate of the powder . . . But I think the simplest
model is the that if the shells are loaded with the same amount of
powder, there would be equal amounts of energy.

The feeling can be VERY different. In the Cdn army as a young officer / nascent storm trooper, I fired a pretty "heavy" assault rifle - the .308 or 7.62mm FNC1 rifle. On exercise we fired blank cartridges with a fitting attached to the end of the rifle muzzle clipped to the bayonet stud called a blank firing adaptor or BFA. The BFA constrained blank cartridge gases sufficiently that enough were diverted into the gas cylinder to operated the auto-loading mechanism (cycled the action) via a cylinder and piston mounted over the barrel and ported to the barrel partway down. Ordinarily the bullet constrains those gases sufficiently while moving down the barrel.

<http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php? title=Infantry_Section>

Blanks fired with the BFA were barely able to cycle the rifle action, and blanks could be comfortably fired from the hip with a long slow easily managed recoil. The blast leakage would shatter glass or smear insects into paste near the muzzle.

When fired with live rounds on the range, the rifle was a bruiser -- when fired by qualified marksmen it literally left a bruise on your shoulder after a full day at the range (flinching and anticipating the rifle stock impact were serious training concerns in marksmanship). The feeling was quite hammer-like, and recruits who didn't have their cheek correctly positioned along the stock were readily identifiable by facial bruising. The automatic (Squad Automatic Weapon) C2 variant of the rifle had a truly gruesome recoil and was not for smaller lightweight men like myself who could actually be driven off the firing line mound at the rifle range from the prone position (we were allowed to range qualify with a loader hanging onto the bipod to keep us on the mound).

There is a BIG different in recoil with live rounds and blanks, even with blanks designed to produce additional gases adequate to cycle the action of gas operated firearms. I also found significant differences firing live rounds and blanks from the 9mm Browning Hi Power pistol and 9mm Sterling Submachine Gun (SMG) as well. Probably this is not an issue with a small calibre rifle like a .22

<http://www.nisat.org/weapons%20pages%20linked/United%20Kingdom/ sterling_9mm_l2a3_sub.htm>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power>

Man, when I googled SMGs I found a gold-plated deactivated Sterling SMG in a mahogany case. Pretty spooky; I used to live in that world. I have to look up some old friends :^).

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>