Re: [Phys-l] not our majors now!

1) I think Carl's remarks are spot-on.

On 10/05/2006 12:27 PM, Monce, Michael N. wrote:

I understand what you are saying, however at this point those sort of techniques look to me like
I am going to be working harder than the students.

So what else is new? :-)

That seems like a reasonable price to pay, especially in the
short-to-medium term.

I'm going to try some complacency shaking, however it may take the form of an exam with low
grades.

It may take the form of *many* such exams. Carl mentioned homework
due every class. The analog is a small exam at the start of every
class. If there is only one complacency-shaking exam, they may
well write it off as "water under the bridge" and remain in their
rut. Getting them out of the rut may require you to be really
persistent.

Another bit of advice: Briefly mention to the department chairman
what you are doing, and why. Don't whine, don't complain, don't
suggest that it is anything you can't handle ... but do mention
what you're doing. Politically it is better if *you* get to the
chairman first, rather than having a "shaken" student get there
first. If the chairman is forewarned, he can defend you the
first time the question comes up ... rather than having to ask
you for an explanation.