Re: [Phys-l] gasoline

Right; just as I wrote before reading your post.

I read and forgot already the batt. guarantee; 100k miles? BTW we've already put on >18k in one year. Included a trip to Seattle from Salinas. ~Four! fill ups. total

Rick Tarara wrote:

Watch for what happens to mileage concerns as gasoline moves back under $2.50/gallon!

Also, as tax incentives start to dry up for hybrids, will the demand remain high--keeping prices high and making pay-back times (versus equivalently outfitted gasoline vehicles) so long that they exceed the expected battery pack life (the replacement of which will push the pay-back time to infinity and beyond)? Or...will the cost of the hybrids drop to be more reasonably in line with non-hybrids?

I bought last year and couldn't justify a Civic Hybrid over a Civic LX on a cost basis (nearly a $4000 difference)...besides needing a vehicle immediately such that I couldn't wait weeks or months for delivery.

Rick

***************************
Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Software
PC & Mac

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kilmer, Skip" <kilmers@greenhill.org>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] gasoline

The best mileage I ever got was in stop and go driving on a freeway last spring. I think driving style has a lot to do with it. The greatest energy-saving feature of the Prius might be the real time mileage read out. I rarely go over 65, even in west Texas. I find myself in less of a hurry than I used to be.
skip