[Phys-l] Chimp unsuccessfully hangs from high voltage line

Some years ago, I had a crazyish uncle who had a small resort in the Catskills, and decided it would be fun to have a chimp to entertain the guests. While as it happened, one day the chimp got away. Now this "resort" was in the middle of cow pasture country, a very lovely setting with pastures separated by electric fences...a single wire with some high voltage on it. There was enough internal resistance in the power supply so that animals got shocked by not killed.
So my uncle is chasing the chimp, and being a chimp when he sees the wire he jumps up and starts going along it hand over hand, until he comes to one of the support poles, and being a chimp, wraps his leg around it. His body wrenched and he was stuck, alive, but very unhapppy.

cheers,

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics