Re: [Phys-l] Reference needed

Sl. relatedly: I find the curious statement in the Berkeley Physics Lab Part B-6 (Periodic Structures): "A mechanical or electrical structure w/ a basic repeating unit shows a number of remarkable physical properties. First a gradual disturbance introduced at one end of the structure will propagate down the structure worth out reflection. The second is about the cutoff; no problem here.

Aside: the discussion begins w/ the mechanical and then the electrical analogy. This illustrates the age of the manual. Now it's in reverse order, nicht wahr?

The text discusses dispersion, phase/group speed, delay, and later the strip line. Being v. non-maths. I suggest the following argument for a DC impedance, note the caveat. If there is no discontinuity in the evolution of a lumped constant line to a continuous, then it's follows that a lumped line has a dc resistance (characteristic impedance at DC)

bc

p.s the text includes lotsa heavy (for bc) maths.

Jack Uretsky wrote:

Hi all-
Thanks, Brian, for your comments. This is all new to me, and I'm working through some of this for the first time.
My understanding essentially agrees, I think, with Brian's comments. Terminating the transmission line with a sqrt(L/C) resistor makes the line "look" infinite, as Feynman points out in his "lumped" model. I found the exercise as problem 1, Chapter IX of Slater & Frank's
old book <Electricity and Magnetism>. The problem asks for a proof that for the infinitely long case the ratio of applied voltage to current is just the quoted termination value, independent of frequency. The ratio would therefore hold in the DC case. Here L and C are the inductance and capacitance per unit length.
In the lumped case, with proper termination, the impedence is that of a low-pass filter. At frequencies below cut-off the impedance is just
sqrt(L/C) with a frequency dependant phase that ranges from 0 to pi/2.
This can all be worked out from the discussion in Feynman's book.
Regards,
Jack