Re: [Phys-l] Sir, Can We Do Something Easier?

"Nobel's (apostrophe denotes plural of a proper name) and NAS membership are, I suggest, measures of effective learning."

I beg your pardon.

This site disagrees:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/plurals.htm

When a family name (a proper noun) is pluralized, we almost always simply add an "s." So we go to visit the Smiths, the Kennedys, the Grays, etc. When a family name ends in s, x, ch, sh, or z, however, we form the plural by added -es, as in the Marches, the Joneses, the Maddoxes, the Bushes, the Rodriguezes. Do not form a family name plural by using an apostrophe; that device is reserved for creating possessive forms.

This one is adamant:

Apostrophes are never used to form the plural of any proper noun.

The Herberts will attend.

not: The Herbert's will attend.

http://creativeservices.iu.edu/resources/guide/os.shtml

In the case of Nobel prizes, perhaps Nobel's is OK to indicate the contraction. This is the reverse of the post.

bc, liceman.

Jack Uretsky wrote:

I will try to clarify my statements so that John and I can talk TO instead of ACROSS each other.