[Phys-l] LA Times Report on ALTERED OCEANS

Subscribers may be interested in the excellent Los Angeles Times report "ALTERED OCEANS," a five part series on the "crisis in the seas" by Kenneth Weiss (2006a,b,c,d) & Usha Lee McFarling (2006), with photography and video by Rick Loomis at <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oceans/la-oceans-series,0,7842752.special>, or more compactly <http://tinyurl.com/hql49>. Click on "About this Series" for information on the production staff.

A moderated discussion forum at <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/oceans/2006/07/welcome_to_alte.html> contained 191 posts as of 06 Aug 2006 13:42:00-0700, including one by author Kenneth Weiss, in which he wrote (my CAPS):

"In the coming weeks and months, I will be writing about ways to ease the stress on the seas.. . .What should our government leaders do to address these issues? How can the United States lead by example, so that developing nations with BURGEONING POPULATIONS can learn from our mistakes rather than repeat them?. . . . . . "

And speaking of "burgeoning populations," a search for "population" in the 191 posts online as of 06 Aug 2006 13:42:00-0700 indicated that only 12 posters (6.3%) merit inclusion on the "Bartlett Honor Role" for pointing to the root cause of the problem - human population growth. The perceptive posters in order of posting times are: Guy B. Jones, cb, JJ, Walter, Rise Briggs, Karen, DD, Eric Turner, Ken Weiss, Helmut LUBBERS, Lucy, &| Ellary Eddy.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>

"You cannot preserve the environment by accepting the population growth and the increased affluence that are destroying the environment"
A.A. Bartlett

"The concept of sustainability addresses the fundamental question of the survival of society. Education for sustainability must start in our classrooms. We have the obligation to work with the large numbers of students in our introductory classes, to lead them to explore the meaning of sustainability, even though sustainability is not now in our textbooks or curricula. . . It may be that no other academic discipline is seriously or realistically concerned with education for sustainability. In which case, it's up to us."
A.A. Bartlett

REFERENCES [Tiny URL's courtesy <http://tinyurl.com/create.php>.]
Weiss, K.R. 2006a. "PART ONE - ALTERED OCEANS: "A Primeval Tide of Toxins - Runoff from modern life is feeding an explosion of primitive organisms. This 'rise of slime,' as one scientist calls it, is killing larger species and sickening people." Los Angeles Times, 30 July, online at <http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/la-me-ocean30jul30,0,5200731,print.story?coll=la-news-columns>, or more compactly at <http://tinyurl.com/jz4lf>

Weiss, K.R. 2006b. "PART TWO - ALTERED OCEANS: Sentinels Under Attack - Toxic algae that poison the brain have caused strandings and mass die-offs of marine mammals - barometers of the sea's health," Los Angeles Times, 31 July, online at <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oceans/la-me-ocean31jul31,1,7678420,print.story>, or more compactly at <http://tinyurl.com/hac6x>.

Weiss, K.R. 2006c. "PART THREE - ALTERED OCEANS: Dark Tides, Ill Winds -With sickening regularity, toxic algae blooms are invading coastal waters. They kill sea life and send poisons ashore on the breeze, forcing residents to flee," Los Angeles Times, 1 August, online at <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oceans/la-me-ocean1aug01,0,6721807,print.story>, or more compactly at <http://tinyurl.com/f5p6q>.

Weiss, K.R. 2006d. "PART FOUR - ALTERED OCEANS: Plague of Plastic Chokes the Seas - On Midway Atoll, 40% of albatross chicks die, their bellies full of trash. Swirling masses of drifting debris pollute remote beaches and snare wildlife," Los Angeles Times, 2 August, online at <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oceans/la-me-ocean2aug02,0,7835921,print.story>, or more compactly at <http://tinyurl.com/prda2>.

McFarling, U.R. 2006."PART FIVE - ALTERED OCEANS: A Chemical Imbalance -
Growing seawater acidity threatens to wipe out coral, fish and other crucial species worldwide," Los Angeles Times, 3 August, online at <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oceans/la-me-ocean3aug03,0,950042,print.story>, or more compactly at <http://tinyurl.com/nfpff>.