Re: [Phys-l] the mathmatics of physics

At 01:29 AM 8/5/2006, Jack,
you wrote this exceptionally thoughtful note:

Hi Adrian-
If you are looking to "review" algebra at the beginning of a
physics course, /.../ read, or reread,
Arons' book on the teaching of elementary physics. One of his cardinal
principles was: "Don't introduce a concept before you need it."
///
I have looked for substitutes for the currently used algebra
texts.
///
The text titled "Algebra", by I.M. Gelfand
(now at Rutgers) and A. Shen, is a paperback of 150 pages, published by
Birkha(umlaut)user 1993 (Russian edition was 1958).
///
Here is an example, where the answers are not
given (Problem 143, p.67)
a. Divide x^3-1 by x-1
b. " x^4-1 " x-1
c. " x^10 -1 by x-1
d. " x^3+1 by x+1
e. " x^4*1 " x+1
I don't think you'll find counterparts for d. and e. in any
American text.
//
Regards,
Jack

Jack,
I am wondering if a typo crept into example e. ??
For me it reads: Divide the expression x to the fourth power times one
by the expression x plus one.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!