Re: [Phys-l] the mathmatics of physics

At 13:42 -0700 8/4/06, adrian sears wrote:

My name is adrian sears i teach physics at bishop
union high school. My question is rather general in
nature but I would appreciate some feedback from other
teachers in the same predicament. I find myself each
year having to teach more math (basic alegbra,
exponents,quadratics etc.) then physics. Is there a
good text that simply deals with the most common math
encountered in intro physics. Hopefully a good
reference text would result in being able to teach
more physics than math.

Yes. I would recommend Cliff Swartz's book "Used Math." He gives clear and simple presentations of almost all the math used in an introductory physics course, from algebra and geometry through (if my memory doesn't fail me) calculus. The book is available through the AAPT sales division (search on the title) for $20.00 for student members, $27.00 for AAPT members, and $34 for everyone else. I'm not sure how they would deal with a school invoice. It is geared to college-level physics, but I think it would be useful as a teacher's resource for the remediation work you are talking about.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams