Re: [Phys-l] Rocket Science

A few people have commented on my problem, but so far not along the lines I was thinking of. My fault for not clearly spelling out the problem. So let me now be explicit. The second-order differential equation for r(phi) is:

r(1+r*r)(ddr) = (2+r*r)(dr)(dr) + r*r[1-(r/r0)^4]

where dr means the first derivative of r(phi) w.r.t phi, ddr means the second derivative, and r0 is the initial value of r (ie. at phi=0). Don't worry about the fact that this equation doesn't look dimensionally correct - I have normalized r into dimensionless form by absorbing constants involving m, g, etc.

So we don't have a power law and trying to find whether r is periodic in phi is not obvious to me. You can solve the above equation numerically and plot it for the 2-dimensional motion of r(phi), assuming initial values r0 and dr(0). You should find bounded orbits for any positive values of these two initial parameters.

The question again is: The resulting numerical plots don't look closed when I randomly try various positive initial values. But maybe I simply didn't try the right values. How can I prove mathematically that the orbits aren't closed for any positive values of the two initial parameters?
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002