Re: [Phys-l] Rocket Science

Just for the record, my own calculation was based on the so-called "vis-viva" equation and Kepler's third law:

v^2 = k(2/r - 1/a) and a^3 ~ T^2

with r = ai so that vi^2 = k/ai and Ti = 90 minutes (ai, vi, and Ti being the initial values in the circular orbit). I took differentials and eliminated the proportionality constants to find

2 (delta v)/vi = (delta a)/ai and (delta a)/ai = 2/3 (delta T)/Ti

Eliminating (delta a)/ai it's easy to see that

extra lag ~ vi (delta T) = 3 (delta v) Ti = 3 (1 km/min) (~90 minutes) ~ 270 km

Of course, this is ultimately the same thing JD has said more elegantly, but it may enjoy the virtue of being at least somewhat more straightforward.

Clearly, then, the way to accomplish the rendezvous at the end of one more orbit is for the trailing rocket to decrease its orbital speed by 20 km/hr -- 1/3 the amount that a naive application of d = vt would suggest one should increase the speed.