Re: [Phys-l] Rocket Science

Well, they sure as heck aren't going to rendezvous! I'll be interested in seeing an actual numerical answer to this question given that spacecraft #2 is going to move to a higher orbit, slowing down as it does so, but I don't think we have an easy way of determining what happens during that maneuver without more detail. Spacecraft #2 will also now be in some kind of elliptical orbit, farther "back", as well as "higher".

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:50 PM
Subject: [Phys-l] Rocket Science

Hi --

A classic question:

Here's the scenario: Spacecraft #1 is launched into a nice, circular,
low-earth orbit. Shortly thereafter, spacecraft #2 is launched into
the _same_ orbit. At this point in the story, spacecraft #2 is keeping
pace with #1, and is simply 90 km in trail.

The flight plan calls for the two craft to rendezvous. At time t,
spacecraft #2 fires its thruster, thereby giving itself a delta v
of 60 km/h, directed toward spacecraft #1 in the obvious way.

Here's the question: Within a km or so, how far apart are the
spacecraft at time t + 90 minutes?

Vis vobiscum.