[Phys-l] Cosmic rays and the TSA

As promised here's my report. One of you recently asked if the TSA would permit a G-M counter aboard (not checked). I had brought a micro one to find Th gas mantles in France * w/ no trouble, but that was eleven years ago. This time I debated whether to take it, or the expensive mini, Vernier one (meter and speaker). Since it cost ~$200 I didn't. It passed several times, but at one I had it in my pocket from use on the connecting flight. As a result the examiner spotted it in the tray and said "Checking the ray machine?" Damn, I replied I forgot to turn it on. He laughed. Anyway data from one flight is below.
While walking from one one flight to another I passed a disassembled machine w/ a multimeter clipped to a board w/ some HV ceramic caps. I said, "Looks like the power supply." The tech. said, "Yes." During the ensuing conversation, I found the tube current is 0.4 A. and the HV ~ 140 (120?) KV. "Wow", I said, "Wouldn't that fry any photo' film?" He pointed out that it is scanned and the exposure on any spot is rather low.

* By then couldn't find any in Monterey or Santa Cruz county. I bought out Gallerie Lafayette's supply (about six). Curiously, at first I was disappointed, and then found them behind the newer ones on the hook.

17:07 UK [times approx. ~ +/- one minute] screen claims 38 k feet.

3.08 microS +/- 0.06 [Micro counter totals counts for 36 s. places point thus x.xx claims is microS/hr. Data printed below is the average of about six trials. One can reverse arithmetic it from the data given.]

17:18

3.11 +/- 0.07

17:28

3.19 +/- 0.06

40k feet

3.38 +/- 0.11

17:57

3.45 +/- 0.08

18:20

3.42 +/- 0.03

Descent (started late). Continuously recorded, so time between adjacent data ~ 40".

0.64 (sd 12%)
0.46
0.38
0.32
0.20
0.37
0.26
0.16
0.23
0.22 (21%) over runway. probably Las Vegas ~ 2k feet.

~ sea level background: 0.11 +/- 0.01 (while taxiing in UK)