Re: [Phys-l] Noise Harvester Ad & Physics 101

One of my favorite topics!

Glenn Malin writes:

Devices marketed for audiophiles are often pricey and involve questionable physics. I have just seen an ad for a gizmo called the Noise Harvester offered by PS Audio. It is claimed that it converts AC line noise into light thus satisfying "Physics 101."

Without any more comment, I suggest that a visit to their web site might prove of interest. Be sure to watch the video.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/noiseharvester_overview.asp

Glenn Malin
University HS
Irvine, CA

No one doubts the qualitative validity of Barnum's conjecture, though surely it must be adjusted by several orders of magnitude to bring it up to date. In addition to the absurdities of Monster Cables and green transparency markers to treat compact discs for their objectionable digital sound, there are many other ways to dissipate the suckers' (oops, I mean "audiophiles'") considerable disposable wealth these days. See, for example:

<http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C>

<http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ACT_SIGN_D&Category_Code=CABLES&Product_Count=6 >

<http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=SPEAKERS>

<http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=AMPS>

<http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RCK_SLD_SIG&Category_Code=AMPS&Product_Count=1>

<http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RCK_SLD_BATT&Category_Code=AMPS&Product_Count=3 >

A good Fermi problem: Just how many of these items must one sell in order to cover the cost of producing these web pages?

It seems that audiophilia extrema (a social disease) provides the physics teacher with many fine examples of unphysical claims with which to attract student interest.

Leigh