Re: [Phys-l] climate change and climate scientists - editorial

Hi Folks,

Thanks to Dave Marks for posting this. I think it is important for us to read and analyze this sort of editorial, because our better students will surely have read it and ask questions about it.

This editorial was published by Canada Free Press (http://www.canadafreepress.com/), which seems to me to be the Canadian equivalent of TCS Daily (http://www.tcsdaily.com/), formerly known as Tech Central Station. These are not unbiased news organizations. Look for yourself at the background of the people who write for this outfit. Tom Harris, the author of the editorial, holds a Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) from Carleton University and a Master of Engineering (Mechanical - thermo-fluids) from McMaster University. Another contributor on environmental issues to Canada Free Press is Dennis T. Avery, of the Hudson Institute, which reports that "Avery studied agricultural economics at Michigan State University and the University of Wisconsin."

I am not suggested that these folks are "fair and balanced", but, when it comes to climate change, I myself would not put much weight in an op-ed piece written by someone without an appropriate scientific background in this subject, who has apparently interviewed only a small number of climate changes skeptics without the voices of those who hold the opposite point of view.

It is not difficult to find someone somewhere who is a skeptic about a given topic. In my opinion, this is a strength, not a weakness, of the scientific method. But skepticism itself does not necessarily endow one with expertise, anymore than does the opposite position. In our own state of Oregon, the state climatologist, George Taylor, is a climate change skeptic. Mr. Taylor has a background of thirty years in meteorology. He was just interviewed by Oregon Public Broadcasting; this was aired on June 9, 2006 on OPB's "Oregon Territory" (http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonterritory/). The interviewer allowed George Taylor to trot out, unchallenged, three hoary myths about global warming: the urban heat island effect, the Pacific decadal oscillation, and ice accretion in the interior of Greenland and Antarctica. All three arguments voiced by Mr. Taylor have been rebutted over and over again by other climate scientists but apparently George Taylor has not noticed. To me, this seems to be a pattern among climate change skeptics, including Mr. Taylor, who is also a consultant to TCS Daily, Patrick J. Michaels of the Cato Institute, and their co-believers. Sourcewatch (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Climate_change_skeptics), "a project of the Center for Media & Democracy", has some useful information, as long as one reads it cum grano salis. Caveat lector.

It amazes me that there are still people with a Ph.D. in some area of science who argue that CFCs were not the cause of the stratospheric ozone hole, just as I am amazed that there are people with a Ph.D. in some area of science who argue that evolution is nothing more than "a theory". I wonder where were Messrs Harris, Avery, Carter, Patterson, et al., when ozone depletion was an issue. After we experience our first summer with Arctic seas substantially free of ice, we may well be asking ourselves similar questions about climate change skeptics.

Best wishes,
Jim

--
James J. Diamond, Jr., Ph.D.,
Professor of Chemistry, Chemistry Department,