Re: [Phys-l] Global Warming

Add one more factor--Global Dimming (Google for details) that may well be
masking some of the global warming expected by the CO2 models due to
aerosols. The irony with that one is that if we work hard to clean up air
quality (and if the studies are correct) then we could trigger a more rapid
increase in temperature. OTOH, if accurate, it also seems that we then
have in hand a means for trying to control any 'real' CO2 warming.

I would hope that Gray is right, but there also seem to be plenty of
climatologists that are convinced that CO2 warming is happening--and as
alluded to by Jack U., it is the polar region data that seems most
convincing to them.

In the end, what do we really lose by taking reasonable steps to reduce
'greenhouse' emissions even if such have a very minor climatic effect
versus what we lose if we do nothing and such emissions end up having a
very major effect? I suspect, that using 'scare tactics' and admitted
exaggerations, as in the new Gore film, may backfire and lead to a
dismissal of even moderate and prudent steps that might be taken -- just in
case!

Rick

R.W.Tarara
Professor of Physics