[Phys-l] History of Friction

Scott Hill wrote:
I'm wondering about the history of the concept of friction. As I
understand it, before Newton people assumed that objects in motion
tended to stop if a force wasn't applied, but when Newton introduced
the First Law, we suddenly had to consider friction as a force rather
than a fundamental law.

Leonardo da Vinci can be considered as the father of modern tribology. The science of Tribology (Greek tribos: rubbing) is about Friction, Lubrication and Wear. 150 years before Amontons' Laws of Friction were introduced, Da Vinci already recorded *friction* in his manuscripts. Was there any consipracy involved? :)

Let's call this the "Physics of Da Vinci Code". Your students may like Da Vinci Code!?

Alphonsus