Re: [Phys-l] nifty pendulum, conservation, et cetera

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] nifty pendulum, conservation, et cetera

I remember the old Physical Science
text by Holton making a big distinction between N1 and Galileo's Law of
Inertia. As I remember, Galileo claimed that as long as a rolling object did
not change it's distance from the center of the Earth it would not speed up
or slow down. N1 applies to true straight line motion.

I don't know where that's coming from...

It's coming from the "Dialogo", second day, p. 174 in the Edizione
Nazionale...

Galileo was very smart, I agreed, even when was "wrong".

Paolo Cavallo