From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf
Of Bob LaMontagne
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 12:53 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Unit Conversions (was Mass and Energy)

This is slightly OT. However, I am still seething about it so
I'm going to vent. Throughout the past 20 years I have
started all of my classes with a short 5 minute conceptual
quiz that I use to keep the students occupied while I pass
back the graded homework from the previous class. I require
the students to read the day's lecture material before coming
to class and the quiz simply checks that they have read it.

In all this time I have never had a learning disabled student
ask for any accommodation on the quiz - lucky for me because
I still haven't figured out what I would do if they wanted
extra time to complete the quiz.

This year, the lacrosse coach started demanding that I allow
the team members that I have in my conceptual physics course
take the quiz when they return to campus when they had to
miss class because of an exam. I balked at this because the
only purpose of the quiz (5 percent of the class grade) is to
ensure that the material was read so that students could
engage in class discussion and better understand the brief
lecture presented each class.
Specifically, the coach wanted me to email the quizzes to the
students so they could return them on the next class they
attended. I didn't want to have copies of the quiz on file at
the athletic department, so I refused to provide them - I
don't want to make a whole new set of daily quizzes each
semester. I was recently informed by the Dean's office that I
must make special accommodation for the athletes or else stop
giving the quizzes.

Thank goodness I'm getting close to retirement. :-)

Bob at PC