Re: [Phys-l] attributions

Ummm...I believe the "John" in this passage refers to John C.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 9:03 AM
Subject: [Phys-l] attributions

Could we please be more careful about quotes and attributions?

R. McDermott wrote:

Rick's philosophical
disagreement with John's posts was, correctly I believe, laid at the
doorstep of ....

I have no idea where this is coming from. I agree with what Rick has
posted on this topic; my only comment on his remarks was to explicitly
agree with him. Unless I've missed something, he hasn't commented on
my remarks at all.

Some suggestions:

1) When commenting on a discussion, is good practice to quote enough of
the previous traffic so that nobody has any doubt which part of the
discussion is being commented on.

2) In the rare situations where that is not possible: Be very, very,
very careful to correctly characterize what was said, and to get the
attributions right.