Re: [Phys-l] abstractions (was: Unit Conversions)

J.D. writes:

Yesterday I observed a 12-year-old (bright, home-schooled) explaining
to a 16-year-old (bright, public-schooled) how to solve a problem in
a game the latter was writing. It involved the distinction between
an object-class and an _instance_ of that object-class. I didn't hear
the details, but it sounded about right. (I didn't want to hear the
details; I wanted them to figure it out on their own.) This is deeply
abstract stuff. I reckon that when they are fluently talking about
objects and instances, I don't need to worry about their ability to
form abstractions.

Again, at the risk of sounding argumentative, the key word here is "bright". What group are we talking about here? Those who are bright enough to make the kinds of distinctions John is talking about? Are the students John describes here typical of those with whom he interacts? The young people John describes make up the top 5% or so of MY HS. Are those the students who have difficulty abstracting? My goodness!

With all due respect, how often do those of you on this list interact with *average* HS students? I know John to be an exceedingly bright man. I would argue that this makes it even more difficult for him to imagine what it's like NOT to be able to abstract. It's not my role to be a cheerleader for J.C., but I do know the difference between laziness, lack of exposure, lack of interest and inability to abstract.

Shoulda kept my head down :-)