Re: [Phys-l] Mass and Energy

Sorry, but the physics of gquarks and gluons is considerably more
complicated than that. I don't want to get into great detail, ut the
notion "kinetic energy of a quark or gluon inside a proton" may not have
much meaning. The trouble is that neither a quark nor gluon has any
existence outside of a proton (or other hadron) so the notion of mass is
hard to pin down. (For ordinary particles we make our mass determinations
- physically and conceptually - in terms of the isolated particle). There
is no such thing as an isolated quark or gluon.
The "glue" that holds a quark inside a proton is not very
stretcheable. Think of the quark as moving at times to the boundary of
the proton and stretching the "glue". When this happens, the energy is in
the stretch. So a model of what is going on is a harmonic oscillator that
is continuosly transferring its energy back and forth between kinetic and
potential.

I am aware of most of that, at least in a general way. What I was trying to do was to suggest what the author of the statement about 90% of the energy in the universe being kinetic energy might have had in mind.

I once tried to do a simple-minded calculation of the "binding energy" of a nucleon by estimating the momentum of quarks from the uncertainty principle, assuming that the quarks were confined to the volume of the nucleon, and gong from there to the energy of the quarks, but even that didn't give me anything like the mass of the nucleon, so I had to assume that whatever was left over was in the energy of the gluons, but then I was stuck, because I don't know how to figure out what the gluon contribution to nucleons is (how many, how long-lived, etc.). Since then, I have left the figuring about those matter to those who know what they're doing.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams