Re: [Phys-l] half lens

What's going on here, I think, can be apprehended by noticing that the eye has a stop that reduces the image brightness w/o vignetting *. Then remember that one may block view of a portion of an object w/ one's finger held in front of the eye. (I don't recommend putting it anywhere else.) This duplicates the two cases discussed; a half lens and the "photo' divider".
Corollary: note the position of the f stop [f/ x.x] for various camera lenses including the simple one in "box" cameras, and the extreme telephoto' catadioptric ones.

* I can't think of the term to mean blocking the object -- BTW stopping down reduces vignetting! (Correct use of the term.)

bc, who thanks JD for introducing him to the concept in the technical term "lens center".

Roger Haar wrote:

Dear Anthony,

Please note the following is a preliminary
answer.

I just did a quick test first looking through an
old telephoto lense and then with a simple
magnifier. In both cases covering half of the
lens cut off half of the image. Now, both systems
have an additional lense, the eye. A camera
lense, is almost certainly not a simple lense, but
several in series with one or more stops.

Try drawing the following:

L A simple Lense ( include the optical axis )
F Focal points

O An Object Extending above and below the axis, placed a little outside the focal point.

S A Stop after the lense about 1/2 focal length from the lens, with the diameter of the opening 1/2 the diameter of the lense.

B A Block blocking the lower half of the lense.

Below is about what I mean:

O L S
O L S 0 L O-----F---------------- L ------------------
F 0 B L O B L S
O B L S

When you do a ray tracing on this, many rays from the bottom of the object are stopped by the Block then the Stop is sized and positioned to stop the rest.
I have not fully convinced myself that this works in three dimensions, but I think it must.

With lenses in series, the size of the second, third, . . . lense(s) may
act as a stop(s).
Thanks
Roger Haar

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

If you cut a plastic lens in half (through the diameter), you can still
form real images. Compared to the original (full) lens, the images are the
same size (same focal length), but appear half as bright.

So I asked my students a follow-up lab question: If you put black tape
over half a camera lens (the old SLR type), how would the images be
affected? Obviously, they would be intact but half as bright, no matter
which half of the lens was covered. But a few students, who are also in a
photography class, said you would only see half the object/scene. They do
this as a project using a "photo divider," which attaches to the front of
the lens and can rotate. So one can do double exposures of half a scene at
a time. Wow!

I had never heard of this before. And it seems to contradict the half lens
demo I did in class. Can someone tell me how these camera attachments
work? Do the objects have to be "very close" to the camera?