Re: [Phys-l] decibel dilemma

It says the "background" sound level in a room is 40 dB. With 100 people
talking, it rises to 60 dB. What's the sound level when 55 people leave?

Ignoring absurdity in the precision, this problem is easy, but it requires clear reasoning. Since the SPL with 100 people in the room is 20 dB greater than it is with the room empty, we know that the sound intensity is 100 times as great with the room full as it was with the room vacant. Thus 100 people contribute 99 times the intensity of the room's background, I0. With 45 people present one would expect those people to contribute 45/100 of 99 times the background intensity. Adding the background intensity to this gives a total intensity

I = (45x99/100 + 1) x I0 = (4555/100) x I0

SPL(I) = SPL(I0) + 10 log 45.55 dB = 40 dB + 16.585 dB = 56.6 dB

The precision required is just +/- 0.1 dB, as that is the approximate contribution of one person more or less of 45 in a negligible background. Theoretically!

This is not a practical problem, of course. I am presently involved in a practical problem. I have rock concerts being staged for 8,000 people with the outdoor stage and speakers less than 100 meters from my back porch! See http://www.sfu.ca/~palmer/NewsLeaderstory1.pdf and http://www.sfu.ca/~palmer/NewsLeaderstory2.pdf to get some idea of my problem.

Leigh