[Phys-l] Free Reed Clarinet Pipes

Tom Cotner was pleased to mention the gift he is bestowing on the church
organ at St Pauls, Altus OK last Sunday - a rank of free reed clarinet pipes.
This is apparently not an easy product to make.
They fell out of manufacture in Europe around WWI, and by the
twenties in the US, no more were being made. He has found a rank of pipes
that are in their eighties. As an example, he brought one, and blew it,
to evoke a noticeably faithful clarinet tone.
But recalling the excellent discussion on trumpet, flute and saxophone
shapes given here not so long ago,I noticed that the pipe has an entry cone,
a straight section and a wider exit cone.
I expect that a monotone pipe does not need to carry the
customary shape which I seem to recall it being said, controls the
interval between successive notes of the scale.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!