Re: [Phys-l] The flow of energy

On 14-May-06 Jack Uretsky wrote:

Hi all-
I think that Leigh's recounting of history is highly inaccurate.
1. I know of no process that violates strict conservation of momentum.

That's because you don't have a nineteenth century point of view.

2. My understanding (we can find the original papers) is that serious consideration was given to explaining the continuous electron spectrum in beta decay as a violation of momentum conservation. Fermi (I believe it was) then produced the neutrino hypothesis which was confirmed experimentally by Reines and Cowling [sic].

Reines and Cowan put an end to the perplexity decades after Fermi made his suggestion.

Today we are blessed with 3 varieties of neutrino, at least two of which are massive. The discovery
of radioactivity therefore certainly is not, as Lee [sic] seems to suggest, an indication that physicists should doubt conservation of momentum.

The definition of momentum has been changed in the past. I am suggesting that it may be changed yet again in the future. Do you disagree?

3. Labeling "momentum" an "abstract quantity" is not very meaningful, and leads to no experimental consequences - at least not without a precise definition of the adjective "abstract" which can have a variety of meanings. Momentum is a very concrete quantity in the sense that it is measurable, and momentum flow is measured in high-energy collisions at Fermilab and elsewhere.
Regards,
Jack

Leigh