Re: [Phys-l] assigning grades

Dan Crowe and Michael Edmiston make some good points. But here are some other factors to consider:

(1) The fact that interim grades fluctuate doesn't concern me too much provided those interim grades that I officially report are collected at the right point in the cycle of flucutation, "right" being defined as representative of the other interim and final grades. In other words, I need to schedule tests at the right time relative to when official interim grades are posted.

(2) I damp out some of the fluctuations by having more frequent tests. This past semester I had 5 (not counting the final exam), ie. about one every 3 weeks covering about 3 chapters. I think this is a good testing pace for an intro survey course, the primary disadvantage obviously (!!) being the grading load.

(3) If you really think homework doesn't represent student work accurately, count it for fewer points. My numbers were just examples. (I also think time-driven randomized online homework systems such as WebAssign help somewhat both in that different students get different numerical values and in that I don't have to grade them so I can assign a lot more of them: 45 sets this past semester.)

(4) You didn't really address my primary concern with the average-weighted system of grades: A student can bomb the first test, get their act together ("get religion") and do much better on the next test. In your system, their grade is going to be low at the first interim report if there's only been one test by that point in time. In my system, homework and labs can "prop up" a poor first test and yet tests overall still end counting for the most weight as the course progresses.

--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002