Re: [Phys-l] F causes a

On May 14, 2006, at 10:40 AM, Michael Monce wrote:

How about these statements:

1) "an object has an acceleration which causes the net force acting on it"

2) "an object has a net force acting on it which causes an acceleration."

Which one does everyone prefer?

I prefer the second. Indeed, it is at least similar to the type of language that I regularly use, although I think I am more apt to say things like "the net force on the object causes it to accelerate" or "the object accelerates due to the net force acting on it." Moreover, I like to write the second law as a = F/m when teaching because I think it is easier for students to make sense of.

Nonetheless, I see absolutely no reason to *teach* that forces "cause" acceleration. I don't perceive *any* advantage to doing so and I think it has several serious disadvantages not the least of which is that it is devoid of physical meaning. I want students to understand that physics is about determining and making use of relationships between measurable physical quantities, that it is not about distinguishing "cause" from "effect." I want them to appreciate that they may just as readily determine forces from accelerations as vice versa.

John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and