Re: [Phys-l] Science and Teaching (was twistorical approach)

Hi,

Brian asked:

"If someone mentions an approach to discussing a physics concept.
How do I access the research-based material as a knee-jerk,
low effort response."

Here are some suggestions.

1) AJP and TPT online versions offer a fair amount of PER articles. They can be searched quite effectively.

2) The Maryland PER group has collected some research articles
and talks which are available through web:
<http://www.physics.umd.edu/perg/perow.htm>

Many PER groups have their own websites with downloadable articles.
See <http://www.physics.umd.edu/perg/homepages.htm>. (The Iowa
Group materials have moved to <http://www.physicseducation.net/>).

3) There are a two books which I could highly recommend:

a) Arons, A. (1997). Teaching Introductory Physícs. John Wiley
& Sons. This is a real classic and it's worth coming back
all over again. It also contains conceptual homework materials
on various introductory physics topic.

b) Redish, E.F. (2003). Teaching Physics with Physics Suite.
John Wiley & Sons. Redish's book contains overviews ín
research-based teaching materials, conceptual inventories,
effective teaching methods etc. It comes with a CD-ROM containing
much readily useful material. An additional plus is that the book
is not expensive at all.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Antti

Antti Savinainen, Ph.D., B.Ed.
Senior Lecturer in Physics and Mathematics
Kuopio Lyseo High School
Finland
E-mail: <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi>
Website: <http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/physics/>

--
Viesti on tarkastettu MailScanner ohjelmistolla
virusten ja roskapostien suodattamiseksi.