Re: [Phys-l] 2 +- 1 new sciences

But aren't you now deep into Philosophy of Science and arguing for the ONE TRUE philosophy/approach and indeed invoking Galileo's name as a founding father of the 'no causes' school? [Sorry, I'm not really a student of Philosophy of Science so I don't know if there is a modern 'find the causes' school beyond Aristotle--but it would seem that many in the physics educational community would be in such a school.]

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 10:56 AM
Subject: [Phys-l] 2 +- 1 new sciences

The other day I quoted the following passage

The present does not seem to me to be an opportune time to enter
into the investigation of the cause of the acceleration of
natural motion, concerning which various philosophers have
produced various opinions ....
Such fantasies, and others like them, would have to be
examined and resolved, with little gain. For the present, it
suffices .... to say that in equal times, equal
additions of speed are made.

I got that from Galileo, _Two New Sciences_ (1638).

In particular, I got that from page 159 of the English translation by
Stillman Drake, 2nd edition. Drake is far more than a translator; he
is an historian who has studied Galileo's unpublished notes and other
records, in the effort to understand the background and the methods
of Galileo's work.

I was particularly taken by Drake's footnote on page 159: "Rejection of
causal inquiries was Galileo's most revolutionary proposal in physics,
inasmuch as the traditional goal of that science was the determination
of causes."